February 14, 2013

Santa Maria Maddalena Church, Ossuccio

This church has always welcomed pilgrims since the 12th century. The altar is made out of chalk dust (scagliola) which is the process used in the Intelvi Valleys and the original belfry is one of the most photographed in this area.  It was between the 14th and 15th century that
Read More

San Giacomo Church, Ossuccio

This Romanesque church is situated along the shore at Spurano, Ossuccio.  It was built between the 10th and 12th centuries. The sail bell tower on the outside wasn’t built until after the 14th century.  The double arched apse is typical of the local architecture and inside
Read More

Monastero San Benedetto, Ossuccio

This Monastery  was built in the 11th century.  It is situated approximately 817 metres above sea level  inVal Perlana, Ossuccio. The local people still have very close ties to this church.  It is only in recent years that both church and Monastery have been restored. It is
Read More

San Biagio Church, Musso

This church is situated in the town of Musso and is from the late Romanesque period;the façade of which has three round portals and two windows and is crowned by small arches.
Read More

Sant’Agata Church, Ossuccio

This small Romanesque church was built in the 12th century is located in Ossuccio on the western branch of Lake Como.  Many historical periods of the building were reconstructed through a restoration project during the 1990’s. Inisde the church you can see traces of
Read More

Santuario Madonna del Soccorso, Ossuccio

This Sanctuary is located 400 metres above the town of Ossuccio and it has always been a popular destination of pilgrims. The main part of the church was built in the 16th century.  To reach this church, follow the path viale delle Cappelle.  On the way there you will pass by
Read More

San Giovanni Church, Varenna

This typically Roman style church with more recent paintings from the 15th century is one of the oldest churches in Varenna and is located in the old town centre (Piazza San Giorgio). It is thought to be one of the first churches built along the shores of Lake Como.
Read More

Santo Stefano Church, Menaggio

The Santo Stefano church which sits at the end of Via Calvi across the road has three naves which were covered with frescoes painted by a local artist named Tagliaferri in the 1800′s. One of the most renowned frescoes is the one of the martyr Santo Stefano located in the vault of
Read More

Santa Marta Church, Menaggio

The Church of Santa Marta which is located halfway along Via Calvi has a Roman memorial plaque of Lucio Minicio Exorato, a notable of the empire; above it the coat of arms on the facade.  Inside the church there are some interesting paintings of the 17th century.
Read More

San Giorgio Church, Varenna

The San Giorgio parish church was built in the 1300’s and restored in the 1950’s.  It is located in Piazza San Giorgio in Varenna, where you can also see the smaller church of San Giovanni. On the façade of the San Giorgio Church is a beautiful frescoe portraying
Read More

Anglican Church, Griante

The first Anglican church to be built in Italy in the 1800’s was built in Cadenabbia/Griante due to the popularity of the place with British people who settled here. Local architect Giuseppe Brentano who took on the project of the Anglican church also won a competition in
Read More

San Salvatore Church, Vercana

This church with its Baroque architecture stands prominent in the Piazza of Vercana with fantastic views over the lake.  The interior of the church houses beautiful frescoes that portray ‘stories of the Virgin Mary’ ascribed to Domenico Caresana and his son, of
Read More