The “nappina” a woollen pompom was introduced in 1880 as well as the new style badge. This woollen pompom was attached to the side of the hat with the Battalion number embroidered on it and was initially red in colour. The Officers had a silver plated nappina with the Sabaudian Cross (symbol for the Italian Royal Family) and their badge was a royal crown upon a horn which sat atop two rifles (with bayonet).
You can still see the nappina on the alpini hats today but there are various colours to represent the different Battalions;
- 1st Battalion – white
- 2nd Battallion – red
- 3rd Battallion – green
- Services Battallions – blue
- Headquarters – yellow
The new badge (still made of metal) that replaced the previous one of a five-pointed start would now be of a low flying eagle upon a horn with the soldiers’ regiment number on it. The horn sat atop two crossed rifles (with bayonet) and an ice axe surrounded by laurel and oak leaves.