Rock climbing has become more popular over recent years with many indoor climbing walls setting up all over the UK. It is a physically demanding sport but as long as you are reasonably fit and healthy people of any age can take up climbing and sign up for a beginners course. You can build up your upper body strength with rock climbing as well as your legs and it certainly tests your agility.
The best months of the year for rock climbing are; from late March to June and September to October. Ideally for the sports routes a 70m single rope is required, though a 60m rope will be fine for a good percentage of the routes. For the long mountaineering style multi-pitch routes twin 50m ropes are required.
The granite crags near Lecco offer a great range of rock climbing from single pitch sports routes to long multi-pitch routes up to 500m long that demand a mountaineering approach. There are 65 crags to choose from and numerous routes at various grades.
There are many places for climbing in Lombardy region;
- The Antimedale is a limestone wall, in the Province of Lecco, has several activities for experienced climbers
- The Erna wall, also in the Province of Lecco, has about 60 climbs for experienced climbers
- In Val Camonica, the pink-marble wall of Rogno has many intermediate level climbs/more experienced climbers.
- The Falesia di Valgua, in the Province of Bergamo, has climbs for all preferences and levels of experience.
- Palestra di Roccia (rock climbing wall) heading north from Menaggio (west side of the lake)
- Placca del Ghez near Varenna is situated down by the lakeside. You can start your climb from the beach here (supervised by alpine guides) and afterwards you can take a nice dip in the lake.
Please click on the map pins below to find out location and contact details of rock climbing schools and courses in the Lake Como area.
LAKE COMO ROCK CLIMBING