This neo-classical style villa is situated on the outskirts of Bellagio, Lungolario Manzoni and was built in the early 1800’s for Francesco Melzi d’Eril (Duke of Lodi, Vice President of Italian Republic under Napoleon and afterwards Gran Chancellor of the Napoleonic Reign of Italy) as his summer residence.
The villa was designed by the Swiss born architect, painter and sculptor Giocondo Albertolli (1742-1839) who became known for his ornamental architectural decorations and was active in Italy during the neoclassical period.
The English styled gardens of Villa Melzi are adorned with sculptures, with the gardens stretching out along the lake shore. Architect Luigi Canonica and Botanist Luigi Villoresi designed and sculpted these magnificent gardens and are also responsible for the design of Villa Reale park in Monza. Through the contribution of great artists and artisans and the special concordance between them and Francesco Melzi the whole complex was shaped like a place of rare harmony and was admired, among the others, by Stendhal who described its beauty in his book “Rome, Naples, Florence” dated 1817.