Villa Monastero is situated in Varenna on the eastside of Lake Como. It is thought that this villa was founded after the attack on Isola Comacina during the war between Como and Milan (before the 1200’s.)
The villa was once a Cistercian convent until the mid 1500’s when the convent was dissolved and thereafter bought by the Mornico family. Villa Monastero passed from owner to owner in the 1700’s and underwent restoration works and by the early 1900’s the government took ownership of the villa until Marco De Marchi bought the villa in 1925 and donated it to the state.
The villa is surrounded by beautiful gardens that extend up to Fiumelatte with a variety of flora and fauna.
Opening Times: April to end October