This is a typical dish from the Valtellina area of Lake Como, Italy. It is a pasta dish made with cheese and vegetables. Pizzoccheri pasta consists of ca. 80 % of buckwheat and of 20% simple wheat flour and its shape is similar to tagliatelle.
Preparation time: approx. 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 minutes for the potatoes and 10-15 minutes for the savoy cabbage and the pasta.350gr. Pizzoccheri
Ingredients for approximately 4 portions:
- Peel and chop the potatoes into middle-sized cubes and cook in salted water.
- Clean the cabbage and cut it into strips and add it to the pot of potato cubes. For the last 10-15 minutes add in the pasta.
- Next cut the cheese into thin slices.
- Melt some butter in a pan and brown the clove of garlic (first use the garlic press) and add some sage leaves.
- Pour the pizzoccheri, potatoes and cabbage into a colander and leave to drain off the excess water for a few minutes, then add them into the pan along with the browned garlic, butter and sage.
- Stir the ingredients in the pan and then add the slices of cheese. Add a pinch of pepper (to your taste) and garnish the dish with some ground parmesan cheese.
To accompany the meal a lovely glass of dry red wine from Valtellina adds the finishing touch.